SET ME FREE: Rise and Conquer

 


Wearable Art entry for Wearable Art Mandurah 2021; Set ME Free: Rise and Conquer
Model: Ivy Clifford and Olivia Ford | Photo, Hair, Makeup, Outfits, all by me.


2021 is the most hectic year I had so far, in terms of my creation journey. So much  has happened and knock on my door and at times, I feels overwhelmed and a little too much on my plate to chew. Often, my 4 kids plays a big part of it. But my kids will always comes first no matter what, simply because I am a mother before an artist.

Wearable Art Mandurah is known to be the most prestige platform in Australia for wearable art artists to showcase their work. This year, I took the initiative to try my hand for the first time submitting a garment for this competition. I consider myself as a creative person but also a risk taker. Because I believe risk allowed us to learn and grow, not only in terms of art, but also as a person. I always challenge the unthinkable especially when I was told I cannot, I tend to have this mindset to show them I CAN. Well, this attitude have it's pros and cons, it either turns out amazing or a complete disaster.

Remember the sculpture Set ME Free I did for Burnie Works? It was a commissioned piece I did around the theme of our local community social recovery from Covid-19 and everything because of it. I made something that is thought provoking, a piece that allows spectators to spark conversations around it.  

                                            Article from The Advocate Newspaper


Until this moment, we are all still battling with the unprecedented pandemic. I feel that I like to continue to make some noise around this topic. But, instead of focusing on the impact it has bring. I would like to focus on what the future would be like living with Covid. Every individual is different and are entitle to choose their path. Whatever path it may be, our CHOICES will lead to a future that we will all be living in. So I decided to create a piece focus on the recovery from this pandemic.

While I understand that Wearable Art Mandurah is a contest. Many may create according to that. How and what kind of garment will lead them to the showcase at the end of the year or might win the competition. For me, my journey in this competition, is to explore and push myself out of my comfort zone. Hence, why I didn't choose a material that I am familiar with, such as; paper. I choose something that I have never use before. That is plastic milk bottles. I have seen garment that incorporated milk bottles on the outer layer of it. It creates beautiful texture and layering that looks great visually. But how about making the entire outfits with the bottle itself? Wear the plastic itself without having to use an underlying fabric garment, such as a corset or fabric clothing. 

When creating a piece of wearable art, I like to choose to hero that 1 material I use instead of using multiple different ones. Because I like to challenge the material itself and show people what is possible. So when one need to use a corset or underlying clothing under an unconventional material, that is somewhat not true to the integrity of the material. We might as well stick on bits and piece on a gown or clothing (this is just my humble opinion). However, the underlying garment does provide comfort for the person who showcasing it, and some times, it is needed for movement and showcasing purposes. 

Making this piece has not been easy. I have injured myself in a few occasions while experimenting with the material. A total of 500 hours spent on it. The entire garments was formed using the milk bottle itself. Every part of the milk bottle is use, including the lid and lips of the bottles. Nothing goes wasted. 250 milk bottles were cut and join together to create the garments, include the greenery and florals and the koi fishes. 

To find out more on how this garment was made, click the link below: 


During the creations process, I keep pushing myself to do more. Initially the garment only consisted 1 piece, and that is the adult outfits. But my mind keep telling me to do more, "it is not enough Cynthia, you need more"... I keep adding and adding details on it, it becomes very heavy. It becomes somewhat difficult to wear and it didn't stop me from keep adding more. Because, this is a piece of art. It should follows my instinct and get to where it tells me to stop. The conclusion, the garments becomes unwearable, well, the child outfits weight at least 4kg, that is very heavy for a kid. Did I regret it? No. Every process allows me to learn and I have learned a lot making this garment. 

As an artist, sometimes, our art speaks to everyone, and sometimes it is just a pure expression. I create because it calms my mind and the satisfaction I get from it. I don't create because I simply want to compete. I have learned throughout the years that, if our creation journey is to become famous, or become rich, or to win something, the journey ahead of us will become a miserable one. Because when we cannot get to that destination, we will be devastated and the purpose of making art is no longer valid. But if we are simply creating a piece of art because we want to express ourselves, sharing story or simply want to make something visually beautiful, the journey as an artist will last as long as we wanted it to be. 

Here, I would like to personally thanks both of my models Ivy and Olivia who took on this job modelling this pieces for me for the submission. It was not easy for them. From the hair and makeup, dressing and posing for the camera, it requires a lot of strength and time. I am truly grateful for it. I can also feels the pain when Wearable Art Mandurah dressing team trying to fit and style the garment the way I wanted. It  must very tough for them, but thank you for your immense efforts and apology for the all the problems. I do acknowledge the difficulties and the weight of it. So I can see the problem with the fits and the overall presentation during the judging was a complete disaster. 






Photos, models from Wearable Art Mandurah judging day





                Wearable Art entry for Wearable Art Mandurah 2021; Set ME Free: Rise and Conquer

Model: Ivy Clifford and Olivia Ford | Photo, Hair, Makeup, Outfits, all by me.



Getting an email last night from Wearable Art Mandurah saying my piece wasn't chosen for the end of year showcase was expected. But I am grateful that they will detain the piece and will showcasing it during the exhibition weekend, due to the strong visual impact of the piece. At the end, Set ME Free: Rise and Conquer still accomplishing it's mission, showing and sharing it's story in Mandurah.

In between of all these happening, I have been working tirelessly in my studio day in day out trying to complete a series of work that are yet to be presented subject to "Covid restriction permitted". This will be my biggest yet creations to date. So, while I might be quiet on this blog, it is because I am preparing something epic. 

Stay tuned... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This is me

Empress At Forbidden City Chapter II - Cixi

I am a TasmAsian