A wishful world of golden flowers

A few months after the Paper on Skin 2018 competition, I have already planned that I want to do more in the same genre of art, want to give the WOW New Zealand and Wearable Art Mandurah a go. Besides making wearable art, I have always loved fashion at the races.

I think I was kinda hooked on it when I was first involved in designing and tailoring a full race wear( hat and dress) for a beautiful girl from Devonport, for Devonport Cup Day 2014. At that time my knowledge about racing fashion was very limited. But we have Dr.Google and the internet. I went on it and had a quick look to see what race wear should looks like. Well, there should be a hat or we called it fascinator and a dress. These ladies also carry an evening clutch, maybe wearing a pair of gloves and a pair of nice high heels. Ahh, I get it, just like Audrey Hepburn, from the iconic movie, Breakfast at Tiffany.

I went to Spotlight to have a browse. Spotlight is like my "second home" at that time. I am always there looking for fabric and craft stuff. I came across this yellow mustard polka dot fabric that almost seems to pop and "staring at me" (LOL). Well, let's just get that I think. I went home and started to make it. I have no idea what I am going to do but I just move forward with it. I think if I make the hat looks like a fascinator surely that will work. I also quickly made myself and a couple of girlfriends some hats, literally the morning before we left for the Cup Day.

We arrived, and then just follow a crowd of some very fashionable ladies for registration and got ourselves a "pedal" (number) and then parade ourselves on stage.. Oh that was kinda fun I thought. Suddenly me and a few girlfriends was announced as top 10 best dressed and best hat, yes, the yellow mustard outfits was in the top 10. And then, they are about to announced the winner of Best Hat, and magically the yellow mustard and black saucer looking hat I made WON!!! I don't know how, but it won... I was happy of course and so is the girl who wore it.. and suddenly that outfits has became a hot topic for a few weeks after the races ended.



So, here it is, the winning look I created; my first handmade race wear. Not bad ay..

After that, I am hooked. I started to create more hats and put together race wear for my girlfriends. Do you remember Brooke? The girl who wore my Empress At Forbidden City paper dress for me? I made her a few things and have landed her some amazing prizes too. I made her a hat and put an outfit together for her for Burnie Harness Racing Cup, she took out the best dressed lady of the day. And I made her a hat for Devonport Cup, and put an outfits together for her and she took out the people choice best dressed.


After that  I haven't stop making, I even start to make race wear for my children, and they did won some prizes too..


I made all the hats in this pic, and made the dresses and handbags on the furthest left and right (My 2 daughters, Summer in white and Peppa in brown)

Summer won 1 of 5 best dressed kid on the day.

You see, I keep creating for other people but not myself. I enjoyed making people look beautiful. That's why I was a makeup artist and hair stylist in the first place. When people are satisfied with their looks that I created with my bare hand, I feel great and accomplished. But I never actually make anything for myself. That was because I used to feel like I am not beautiful. I have 3 kids (at that time) my body has changed. Nothing I wear will look good. I don't dress up properly anymore and I hate wearing makeup (too much work I think). So I kinda let myself go and eventually became "daggy". But I keep telling my clients and other people, that no woman is ugly, only lazy. Was I lazy? I probably was. But the main issues was my self esteem was hitting rock bottom. 

After completing my paper garment journey for Paper On Skin, I feel like I can do anything. I saw an advertisement about Myers Fashion On The Field state final will happen in Elwick racecourse, Hobart in 10 days time. This time I will do it. I will put together an outfit for me. I looked through my cupboard, I found this black lace dress that I had for a while. It was never fitted me. So, I tried it on and it fits!!! Yes, I have lost weight since my separation with my ex. But that's not because I was stressed or miserable. It was because I getting my life back. I have long walk every couple days in the morning. I ate very healthy and living a healthy lifestyle. I have lost a total of 15kg in a short 2months after the separation. I did all things that I wouldn't do when I was married. 

Back to the race wear. I want this experience to be extraordinary.  I need to make sure my 3.5 hours trip dragging my 3 kids will be worthwhile. And this time, Myer Fashion on The Field is doing it virtually, a photo competition, to find the best dressed lady in each state. So, I researched on Pinterest to see what is the current trend. I definitely don't want to wear a hat that has been worn or being done. That's just boring, I don't do boring. I have a very simple black and gold dress, so my hat had to stand out, a focal point of my entire outfits. I decided I wanted something that goes around my head, something like the 1920's style of hat but modern. I set on the colour palette of black and gold. Now, after all those years I have been making outfits for races, I learned that black outfits usually don't stand a chance. But that also means, it will be very unlikely many ladies will wear anything black. And that also means I will stand out of the crowd. Furthermore, I feel comfortable in my black dress, black is elegant, gold is extravagance. Yes, a winner combination for me.. 

Again, I went into my favourite store Spolight. Browsing for material that I can use. I found some nice cotton lace in yellow, some gold flowers and beads embellishment and a very nice black and gold button, some millinery wire, bits and bobs. And then went to Bunnings, grab a can of gold spray paint, voila, I got all that I need to make the hat.

Watch by Jag (a gift from someone special), Bag from Colette, Shoes from Glamourous, London.




I also realised that putting an outfit together for the races can be very expensive. We often came across some big brands like Chanel, Vercase, Acler, Prada etc etc. A pair of heels can cost thousands of dollars. But my outfits, from top to toes, does not cost me over $300. I believe you don't need to spend big bucks to look great. There are affordable ways to do it. At least I know that I am the only one that has a hat like that, not something that can be duplicate. I spent 3 days to complete my hat, that's in between work and caring for my children. 

I also prepared something nice for my kids for the races, made Peppa (my middle child) a dress and a bag. 


I went ahead to get my photos taken. Now, I have to be honest with you that, I loved my look and I feel very effortless, not too much fuss and very wearable. But I didn't feel that my outfit is very outstanding and I never thought I would even made it to top 10, like never in a million years. As there are so many beautiful ladies with amazing outfits. But magically I did get in the top 10. I even joke around with my friends, "oh dear, I got into top 10.. hahahaha..."

The professional photos also turned out ok, it looks good:


A few days later I got a call from VRC (Victoria Racing Club):

" Is this Shih?",
"Yes it is."
"Hi Shih, I am calling from the VRC and we are reviewing your entry for Myer Fashion On The Field State finalist. Are you a milliner?" ...??? ..
"No, I am not. I made a lot of stuff but I don't make hat professionally, why is that?" ..
"Well, we have been googling and researching you, you made a lot of things. If you are a milliner, I have to disqualified you." ... 
"No, I am support worker, I am not a milliner"...
"That's great, we will be in touch"

Well, that was a bizarre call (I think)...

Few minutes later... phone rang..

"Hi, Shih, is me again from the VRC, We would like to inform and congratulate you that you have won and been selected as the Tasmania State finalist. You will get a $10,000 worth of prizes, and that's a 10 days trip of your life, flying you over here in Melbourne for the National Final in Flemington. You get to bring a guest with you."

.... omg... I was speechless for a while.. like MUTED.. I can get into Flemington race course? Like for real???? I always wanted to go, just to see the fashion but I have get on the plane and the ticket to get into Flemington is not cheap.

I keep thanking the lady on the phone and I told her I will quickly check with my employer as per our conversation, VRC needed me in Melbourne for 10 days and I will be leaving in 10 days times. And yes, the boss approved and I got the 10 days off.. WOOOOHHHHOOOOOO!!!!

I do feel that my hat is a big contributor to my entire outfits. So, I decided to give it a name:

A wishful world of golden flowers
如意天下万金花

This hat has brought me great luck and given me an experience that money cannot buy.

I decided to take my eldest daughter with me as a plus 1 on this amazing trip. We both instantly bonded so strong that she actually cried when she had to go back to her dad as per care arrangement after that trip. We had the best time.. and I was treated like royalty along with another 4 beautiful finalists from the other states in Australia. They have all became my friend, for life. 

It was a very full on 10 days. We have to do some promotional works for Lexus, Kennedy watch, opening a new grand stand for the race course. We also have to appear in press, numbers of newspaper, attend function at the Government House, get on the horse carriage for Racing Carnival, catwalk for Channel 7 morning shows and TV & radio interview. It was very hectic but the entire experience was a dream. Things that I wouldn't think will happened to me in my entire life. Only 5 women in the entire country will get this experience each year. And I am one of them year 2018. I was also told by many that I am the odd one out, wearing the not very popular colours, and also the cheapest outfits out of the lot and it was my first time competing in this Myer Fashion on The Field state final and I won. Many women competed many many times and some took them years to finally win a sash. So, I truly thanked god for this amazing journey. 

During the national final, I didn't get a place in the top 3 but I was named as Channel 7 favourite. They did a quick coverage of my entire outfits and interview. Who would have thought anything like this will happened to them. Well, certainly not me. 



Following are some snaps from the journey:









After this amazing experience, I continue to attend races and looking fabulous. I think confident has a lot to do with this. It is true, there is no ugly woman, only the lazy ones. If you think you can, you really can. I am a great example here.








When I conclude the year of 2018. I looked back all the things I have done and completed that year. I have achieved milestone and did things that I wouldn't do in the past. Things are so different when I begin to believe in myself again. I have become more confident and I grab hold of every opportunity present to me. What a big awesome year it was!!

Many women often forget about themselves because we wear many hats. As a wife, a mum, an educator, a counsellor, a domestic engineer and all. And we are born a multitasker. But I have learned from my past. Please don't forget to breath. Don't let anyone tells you that you not worth it. Don't let anyone tells you that you are not enough. We must be happy with our life. We must know when to walk away when you can no longer find your happy place. When we happy, people around us will be. Remember, nobody is too busy, it is the matter of priorities. We; ourselves is a priority. 

Below is a snippet of the Morning Show from Channel 7, during the morning of the Fashion on The Field National Final day:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This is me

Wu Zhou Dynasty to close Empress's chapter

I am a TasmAsian